Thursday, September 16, 2010

Thursday September 16th 2010

We stopped in Kerrville TX last night and stayed at a Super 8, which I may have mentioned.  Took a picture of it…

100_1234

It was a comfortable motel, not a great one but nice.  We sure have stayed at worse.

We got on the road early this morning, wanted to make it to Van Horn TX today and then tomorrow we want to make it to Benson AZ.  We stopped for gas which was $2.83 a gallon.  Should have gotten it in Kerrville for $2.56.  Oh well, didn’t really want to get gas that early.  Linda wanted a breakfast burrito so we picked one up, it was a carne asada burrito and it was excellent as Linda can attest…

100_1240

See???  She likes it!!  It was pretty messy but sure tasted good.  I had to stop a couple of times just to get out and walk around.  I think I am getting older and stiff!

We made it to Van Horn early, it wasn’t even 3PM!!  The speed limit is 80MPH though and I set the cruise on 75MPH and the little “girlie” car hummed along all the way!  We thought about a room at the El Capitan Hotel here in Van Horn but the rooms started at $95 and I think that is just a little high for me.  We settled on the Super 8.  It is OK.  We went to a little restaurant called “Papa’s Pantry”.  It is a little Mexican restaurant that had excellent food.  I wanted to take a picture of the waitress but she didn’t want her picture taken so I took one of Linda….

100_1242

Food!!!  She is happy!! Linda ordered quesadillas and I ordered chili rellenos.  Now if you look at Linda’s plate the chili rellenos looks like a corn dog.  Tasted great.  We kind of wondered about the place but it was nice.  Talked to some ladies that were there at the table next to ours.  They were driving back from Tucson AZ and were going to travel on to Weatherford TX. 

 

100_1243

They are sisters, one from Oklahoma and the other from Texas. They weren’t bashful about their ages, the lady on the left is 83 and the one on the right is 87!  Makes me feel bad that they can drive for 12 hours and I have a hard time making it 8 hours!  They were quite a pair and very happy. They ordered enough to take with them so they would have something to eat after they stopped at their motel.

100_1245

100_1244

We will probably stop here in the morning and get a breakfast burrito.  Their tortillas are excellent.  Home made and some of the best I have ever had!  We thought about buying some but we don’t have any room for them.

Oh, I was going to say I got a picture of some wild life…

100_1241

These are Texas ants.  Can’t see them very well but they were pretty big. They had a stream going for  a good long way, probably getting stocked up or feeding their young, I didn’t ask, didn’t offer them anything either.  See you tomorrow…….

1 comment:

  1. Weatherford, Texas is where my Leslie went to college her first two years. Also played basketball there. There's a wonderful Mexican restaurant there, also, and they make there own tortillas.

    ReplyDelete