Saturday, September 4, 2010

Friday September 3rd 2010

Got up this morning, again, isn’t that amazing??  I had to take a picture of the light outside.  It isn’t real bright but it works…

100_1115

I took a picture of the field across the road from us.  I had told Marian that it was cotton but it isn’t.  It is soy beans.  Largest, greenest soy beans I think I have ever seen!  I took a picture of the irrigation system also….

100_1116

My neighbor told me these were soy beans.  The field of soy beans behind us is about half this tall and already has bean pods and they are starting to turn already.  These are just getting the little blossoms.  I’m sure not up on the farming now.

We got packed up and started heading for Illinois about 10:30AM.  Not to bad a start I guess.  I actually feel good today!  We made it all the way to St Louis before stopping.  I always stop to get gas before going into Illinois. There was a bad accident in Springfield, IL and we took a detour. I think that was the right decision.  Took us awhile to get back to I55 but the traffic was backed up on the other side for about 5 miles so I know we would still be sitting and waiting to get around the accident.  We couldn’t see it so we don’t know what happened.

We stopped at the rest area in Springfield (to rest).  I get pretty stiff sitting in the car for a long period of time. Here is a picture of the rest area…

100_1120

Guess this is just the sign for the rest area. Probably something to do with Lincoln.

We made it to Rock Falls and got a room at the Super 8.  Not a great place but will sure do for a few days.  We decided to go out to get something to eat and decided to go to Angelo’s Pizzeria for and Italian hamburger.  They do make good ones…

100_1123  Linda made me take a third picture!  The first two she looked like a squirrel with a mouth full of nuts!!!  Sorry can’t put those in here.  Sterling and Rock Falls are divided by the Rock River and the total population of both cities total about 20,000, give or take.  We had just started eating when David and Marsha came in….

100_1124

David and Marsha were our next door neighbors when we lived in Rock Falls, probably 15 or 20 years ago.  Nice seeing them, they were very good neighbors and good Christians.  I didn’t get the other person that is sitting to the right and back another table.  I kept looking and I knew that I knew her but couldn’t place her.  She finally came over when I was talking with David and Marsha.  She came to the church we went to, Harvest Time Bible Church in Rock Falls.  I had it right though, I told Linda earlier that I thought that maybe she was one of my foreman’s wife, actually, widow.  Steve died in the 1980’s I think.  He was a good man, had a lot of good talks with him.  She also had her son with her, Steve Jr.  We didn’t talk long but he sure reminded me of his Dad!.  What a night and we have only been here about 2 hours!  The sandwich, by the way, was delicious.

We went over to see Linda’s sister, Marilyn.  Had a nice visit with her.  She seems to be doing pretty good.  I will get some pictures later.  Linda and I were both pretty tired. Finally went back to the motel about 10PM, almost past my bedtime.  Night Y’all…..

1 comment:

  1. What a treat to see old friends. Enjoy your travels and be safe.

    ReplyDelete