Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Monday November 15th 2010

Well lets see now, it is very cool this morning but dry, I think that it is supposed to rain tonight or tomorrow.  I’ve got one more tree to cut down.  Not looking forward to this one.  This is a big one and very tall, straight tall, not leaning like the other ones.  I keep looking at it trying to figure out which way I would like it to fall, knowing nothing about cutting down trees, this one may fall where ever it feels like.  I figure I will have to use a ladder and start about seven feet up.  The bottom is way to big to try to cut right now.  I think once I get it down I will burn around it and let it die, then maybe cut on it some more.  Went out about 9:30 and got the saw ready and my ladder.  I cut a big wedge out of the side where I wanted it to fall.  Then I cut on the other side and got almost all the way through and I heard it start cracking, gotta RUN!!  I got back to the garage and it was still standing.  Oh no, what am I going to do now???  I had a little hatchet so I thought I would pound the wedge into one side and see what would happen. I was standing by it, contemplating, and then it started to crack again so guess what??? I RAN!!!  I had no idea where it would fall.  When I got far enough away I turned and looked and it was falling to the South, just where I wanted it!!!  Amazing!!

100_1710

This is pretty much exactly where I wanted it.  It fell right next to the other stump so I won’t have to cut it all up.  The part between the stumps I will leave for another year and a time when I need the exercise.  I had to take a picture of the stump…

100_1711

That little piece at the top is the only thing that was not sawn through!  This tree was almost perfectly centered up and down.  That’s my hand at the bottom, no, I have four fingers yet.  This tree had me worried though I was really apprehensive about cutting it down but now that it is over I am glad that I did it and didn’t pay someone a grand to do it.  Takes me to the Poulon Pro chain saw… I bought it as a factory refurbished saw.  Can’t say it was the best $120 I ever spent but it does work very good.  Has some bad points but I can work through that.  The saw did fall the seven feet to the ground when the tree went down but I used it for a few hours after that and it did great.  Does a lot better cutting down that it does cutting across a tree when it is standing.

100_1714

After working for about five hours I think I have most of it out of the field and I still have a lot in the neighbors yard to clean up.  I have five more days and I think I will get a lot of it, the rest can wait for next Spring or this winter if we happen to stay here.

I wrote yesterday that Linda started a turkey for today…..

100_1715

I didn’t get a picture of it when it looked good but it sure tasted good!  I love turkey!!  I love food!  We had an excellent supper of turkey, baked potato and cranberry sauce.  Now I could have really pigged out but I only ate about half of it!!  Not really… It was delicious!  We have enough left for about eight or ten more meals…..

We are just going to take it easy tonight.  I need to rest, I am tired again. I really think I will probably quit working like this within the next twenty years, I get pretty sore but I sure enjoy doing this kind of work.

Watched TV tonight and took it easy.  Night Y’all..

No comments:

Post a Comment